Monday, October 19, 2009

Calories In Chicken Curry

Addio ad Aldo Buzzi




Our beloved colleague, the writer and Italian architect Aldo Buzzi has died Oct. 9, 2009 in Milan at the age of 99 years.
Born in Como on August 10, 1910, Aldo Buzzi, is the author of some of the most interesting books of the twentieth century Italian fiction. Atypical writer, always original, great Saul Steinberg and a friend of Federico Fellini and Ennio Flaiano, was a major figure in Italian literary culture.
All his books from the egg Kok published by Adelphi, are in Italian bookstores with Ponte alle Grazie, her publisher who had commendably republished in recent years: "notebook-aid director" with ' layout of Bruno Munari, "Let's talk else "," Chekhov in Sondrio and other journeys "(expanded edition)," The Boston lettuce, "" Diary of a moment "and" toothpick Clipboard living, dining, travel. "Aldo Buzzi In 1938 he graduated in architecture in Milan, where he resided until the end. In 2002 he received the "Award of fiction Arturo Loria." He had worked actively as well as a writer and as an architect for many years in cinema, including others with Luigi Comencini, Federico Fellini and Alberto Lattuada. In 1955, in collaboration with Federico Patellani wrote, directed and assembled his only feature film, "Pagan America", a documentary Ferraniacolor on the ruins of Mayan civilization, its history and its developments, interspersed with four short stories featuring non-professional actors, which illustrate the reality of South America of the '50s. You should always
him the existence of "Reflections and Shadows" by Saul Steinberg, who prepared patiently with his friend and the volume of letters of Saul Steinberg's Letters to Aldo Buzzi "both published by Adelphi. In the next issue of
Chorus will find an original that the author had graciously allowed us and his memory.







Aldo Buzzi , da “ La lattuga di Boston “, Ponte alle Grazie 2000.

«Come sta?» dissi.
«Ho preparato una proposta da sottoporre al ministro della giustizia per punire una categoria di persone che mi dà fastidio in modo particolare».
«Per esempio?» dissi.
«Per esempio quelli che, dopo aver nominato New York, se devono nominarla un’altra volta, dicono la Grande Mela. Per questi la pena dovrebbe essere l’ergastolo».
«Accidenti!» I said.
"Yes, but not limited to these. Even for those who, having appointed the dollar, if they appoint him a second time, saying the greenback, or, if the gold should name a second time, say the yellow metal. And the same penalty for those who after the ball, instead of repeating the ball say the leather ball, "he added. "And for those who say the first pope - a short little word that saves time and effort - and then throw to John Paul II?"
'Life sentence' I said.
"Bravo. And for those who, having appointed Gelli, always adding the former Worshipful Master of the P2 lodge? "
" Life imprisonment, as above, "I said.
"No, the shooting. "
"Then I said, " even those who should be shot, in his time, having appointed General Noriega, always adding the strongman of Panama "
" Naturally, "he said," and the same penalty for those who, for any purpose from any pulpit, he uses the word millennium. "
"Of this I said," will be harder to persuade the minister. "
"Never mind. I make this proposal. If he refuses to accept it, shame upon them. I'm also working on another proposal to punish all those who, instead of 'gnocchi' write 'gnocchi'. no difficulty to pronounce gnocchi, as there are no difficulty pronouncing unknown, ignorant, ignoble. You see, if I say 'gnocchi', I should also say 'Alessandro Volta, inventor of the potato gnocchi'. "
"Ah! ouch! And who brings in the brains this nonsense? "
" I'm sure teachers ... the daughters of those who once also taught to write 'iscatola meat'. "
'It's true, "I said. "I remember a iscatola meat that was left in the first pages of time to kill Flaiano. I replaced with a normal box iscatola Flaiano and thanked me. Then, forced labor for the teachers? "
«Mah… cosa vuole… Probabilmente poche saranno ancora in vita, in pensione. Arresti domiciliari».
«La saluto, Parto. Vado in Isvizzera… Non si agiti. Sto scherzando. buon lavoro».



Un estratto dalla recensione del New Yorker di Checov a Sondrio

ABSTRACT: Begins with excerpt from a letter to the author from Saul Steinberg: "I have englarged some early Russian postcards, and looking at them one enters into that world just before our birth--a most attractive and comprehensible time, with people in uniform, military or school or workers, dogs, horses, a chainaya, a printer's on the second floor, a man in a long overcoat walking with hands clasped behind him." What follows is a look into that world, with quotations from Chekhov, Tolstoy, Dostoyevski, Gorky, etc. The story details the differences and similarities between the US and Russia; discusses vodka, prospects, Moscow, the Russian people, consumption, toilets, cabbage (the principle food), the attrocities and character of Peter the Great, the old tin signs made for the illiterate, Russian writers in Italy, the death of Chekhov, and in the final section the narrator writes, "I was born just in time to see the Russia of Chehov...at the home of my paternal grandmother in Sondrio, on the Piazzi Prospect." She was taken care of by a serf named Caterina, who lived in the house as part of the family and received no wages. In the courtyard was the serf Patato, who once was given a glass of wine, which had been absent-mindedly poured into a glass which contained an egg white. Patato drank the wine in a gulp and said, when asked that the wine was "sort of hard." A response become proverbial, which, now that he is dead, is all that remains of Patato on this earth.



0 comments:

Post a Comment